Have you had an oral exam yet to check for dental erosion? Dental erosion, also known as enamel erosion, occurs when acids chew away at the precious tooth enamel protecting our teeth. Tooth enamel, the thin layer on our teeth, can be destroyed in a variety of ways, but it is typically harmful acids that break through the easiest and make a tooth susceptible to infection and tooth loss. Listed below are a few samples and common hazards that can put you at risk for dental erosion:
– Food and drinks with low pH levels put you at the maximum risk for dental erosion.
– Sour sweets are highly acidic and can be tremendously corrosive to tooth enamel.
– Avoid eating chewy or sticky foods as well as snacks between meals, because the longer food sits on your teeth and gums, the higher the probability of dental erosion.
– Acid reflux and heartburn can transform into dental erosion.
– Harmful acids are the primary cause of dental erosion and can be found in acidic foods such as citrus fruits and fruit drinks, as well as highly sugary foods, as sugar can be converted to acid by bacteria in your mouth.
Depending on your age, oral health, and jawbone strength, our dentist at Smile Wright Dental can help you find which oral health care treatment will work best for you. Dr. Amber N. Wright and our team would love to see you at our dentist office in Springfield, Ohio. To schedule an appointment, please call us at 937-322-5437. We will be glad to help you achieve the results you are looking for.